Main Street’s mission is to revitalize and preserve our historic downtown through business development, partnerships, and promotion.
The Romanesque Revival church, built in 1832, is the oldest building on Main Street. Before the Church was built, the First Presbyterian congregation met in the schoolhouse located across from the current courthouse, as well as, stores, private homes, and even in the woods.
After 158 years, the First Presbyterian Church closed its doors in 1990 when membership dwindled to just 14 persons, and the building sat empty. However, thanks to the vision of City Leaders and community interest the building was purchased in January 2003 by the City of Rising Sun, and restoration was begun soon thereafter. Despite having a fire, work was completed in the Spring of 2008.
All of the original stain glass windows have been restored and remain part of this historical building. The purpose of the Church restoration is to make the building both a visual and social focal point of the community once again.
Inside you will find a picture of "The Christ" that has survived through years of worship and emptiness, fires, and renovation. For its resilience, the picture was reframed and hangs by the front door. During reframing a historic print commemorating Aubrey Milner's service in the first World War signed by President Woodrow Wilson was found behind the picture of "The Christ." Because the print is also part of the building's history, it hangs by the door, as well.
Heritage Hall has outstanding hardwood floors and a peaceful feel. Also available are limited kitchen facilities and restrooms. Heritage Hall can be rented for weddings, receptions, business meetings, productions, and performances.